Did you know that traditional metal braces are not the only option for straightening your teen’s teeth? Clear aligners are another option for treatment. They are translucent plastic trays that straighten the teeth by applying pressure. We at Pioneer Orthodontics are proud to provide our patients with the top clear aligner brand, Invisalign!
Dr. Cserna is a Premier Invisalign Provider, a status that takes hours of experience and training to obtain. We also use modern technology and apply the latest information to our treatments, so you know your teen is in the best hands and will receive top-notch care!
Care starts with the right information, so we would love to tell you how clear aligners can benefit your teen!
Invisalign Trays are Custom and Comfortable!
All Invisalign clear aligners are custom-made for your teen’s unique teeth and orthodontic goals. With X-rays and images of the teeth and gums taken by our skilled team members, we will make a 3D model of your teen’s mouth. Dr. Cserna will use this model to efficiently and accurately plan your teen’s treatment schedule. She can even show you and your teen a representation of their predicted final look! Knowing what their working toward is a great motivator for your teen to wear those trays!
The detailed and comprehensive imaging helps Dr. Cserna spot potential complications and adjust the program as necessary. This means a quicker, more pleasant treatment experience for your teen!
Clear Aligners are Removable!
Yep, you heard that right! Your teen can remove the aligners, but it is important your teen wear their aligners for roughly twenty-two hours a day for the treatment to be effective. However, there are some benefits to the removable feature. Let’s go over a few of them:
- Easy switch! — Aligners are worn for one to two weeks before your teen can switch to the next one. Since your teen is sent home with the first few aligners they need, they can switch to the next one at home in seconds! Perfect for on-the-go families!
- No food restrictions! — The aligners need to be removed to eat or drink anything other than water. That means that your teen can stick to their regular diet without worrying about damaging their orthodontic appliances! Your teen can eat popcorn and sticky, hard candy at the movies!
- No new oral hygiene! — There is not a new routine your teen has to learn or cleaning tools to carry around for use after meals! The patient just needs to take the aligners out to floss and brush their teeth and gums like normal.
- Special occasions are no problem! — Prom? Class picture day? Bridesmaid in their aunt’s wedding? The aligners can be removed so they can enjoy those moments to the fullest! While we agree that every second is precious, Invisalign trays should only be removed for those extra specific moments.
Invisalign for Teens Trays are Low Maintenance!
The trays are super easy to take care of! Cleaning them only adds a few minutes to your child’s morning and evening routine.
After removing the trays, they should gently brush them with unscented, antibacterial soap and lukewarm water using a toothbrush separate from the one they used to brush their teeth. They should allow the trays to completely dry before putting them on again.
- Don’t use toothpaste on your aligners! It can be too harsh and scratch the surface of the plastic. That can make them uncomfortable and more visible when worn.
- After every meal, your teen should rinse their mouth with water to clean the mouth of any residue that could stain the aligners. You want to protect their clear aesthetic!
- When not wearing the aligners, your teen should put them in their clear protective case! This safeguards them from germs and damage.
Keeping their trays clean is imperative to your teen’s oral health and the success of their treatment. Unclean trays can be a farm for germs and bacteria that cause infections, tooth decay, and tooth loss. Aligners not appropriately cleaned can also develop an unpleasant taste and smell that is not inviting when it’s time to wear the trays.
Invisalign is “Invis-a-ble”!
While we will always encourage all our patients to be confident before, during, and after treatment, we understand that some younger patients might want a more discreet treatment option. The aligners’ custom fit and clear appearance make them practically invisible. Hardly anyone will realize your teen is wearing them, making them more likely to smile and participate in their regular activities during treatment.
The Invisalign Difference.
While Invisalign for Teens is similar to Invisalign for adults, their teenager program was designed with teens in mind! Here are just three key features of Invisalign for Teens that make them perfect for teens and their families:
- The Compliant Dot – Invisalign for Teens comes with a small blue dot on the back of the tray that turns either white or blue. Saliva changes the dot’s color over time, so you can be sure your teen is wearing them as instructed.
- Replacement Trays – Are you worried your teen might lose or damage the aligners? No need! We are thrilled to say that Invisalign for Teens comes with a limited number of replacement trays! While we still push your teen to care for their appliances properly, we are happy to say that the worst part of needing a replacement is waiting for a new tray! Dr. Cserna can make adjustments to the treatment plan if necessary.
- Eruption Tabs – Is your teen waiting for all their adult teeth to come in before they begin treatment? There’s no need! Invisalign for Teens now offers the option of eruption tabs, which are spots in the aligners that allow for teeth to “erupt” or grow without preventing or disrupting the orthodontic treatment.
Start Your Treatment with Pioneer Orthodontics!
Dr. Cserna has been passionate about orthodontic care for years and is always excited to share her knowledge with patients and watch their smiles transform, and their confidence increase!